Friday, May 23, 2008

Abby's Graduation



Well, Miss Abby Kendrick graduated from Gulf Coast High School this afternoon! She'll be off to the University of Central Florida in the fall. The kids and I are going to miss her very much. She's been a great friend to me and to them. Her graduation party is tomorrow afternoon and this is the cake I made for her:


This is the 6-inch tier. That's Nutella in the middle. And it's a yellow cake.

This is the 10-inch tier. Once again, Nutella in the middle. I used some scraps of cake to even out the top. I don't really have the right tool for torting a 10-inch round cake. I need a 14-inch slicing knife (well, that's what I want anyway!).

Finished top tier. Sitting atop my new cast iron turntable by Fat Daddio's. The chocolate curls are made from Scharffen Berger 62% cacao semisweet chocolate. The recipe actually called for giandujo, but I couldn't find it anywhere local and didn't have time to special order it. I think it turned out fine anyway.

Top view of the finished product. Reagan helped me dip the hazelnuts in chocolate and put them on the cake.

So, I'll update later and let you know how it actually tastes!

No comments: